I love making fruit salad, cuz I'm super lazy and my diet requires more vitamins. This one is from my 2nd batch, cuz the siblings and the SO finished my 1st batch in the course of the evening.
You can make a huge batch in advance and keep for about 2-3 days in the fridge. Most tangy fruits are suitable for the salad, so experiment with any combination of fruits you have in season: apricots, plums, pineapple, peaches, fresh berries, etc.
What is essential is the syrup from canned fruit, which helps keep the other fresh fruit from oxidising, and makes for an excellent glaze (reduce on low flame with sugar) for pancakes/cakes, a flavoured jelly/agar-agar or maybe a marinade (all those citrus juices help tenderize meats, especially lamb).
- 1 large can of logans/lychees (including the syrup)
- 2 large fresh mangoes (I personally prefer honey ones, but the ones from India are just as good)
- 6 fresh oranges, peeled and chopped
- 1 large fresh dragonfruit, peeled and chopped (the rich red colour also adds interest)
- Chop all the fruit in bite-size chunks (nothing larger than 1 inch by 1 inch).
- Mix everything in a large bowl (you'll need cling wrap to cover the top) or a large Tupperware to keep it in the fridge to chill. Do not freeze.