Despite the rave reviews from other bloggers, I have been intimidated by the general lack of English on Gmarket Global (and the sellers) to use the shopping platform. But after moving to Australia, I've discovered a shortage of coordinated group orders for Brisbane - a flourishing community and movement back in Singapore that maximises international shipping costs and bulk discounts.
So with the encouragement of friends, I decided to suck it up and have a go at shopping on Gmarket Global portal
It took me a week of trawling through the hundreds of Gmarket sellers to decide what I wanted, cuz there is just so much choice! But as a first order, I tried to keep it to basics that I will need for the chillier weather we'll be expecting on the southern hemisphere. So here's what my order included:
- 3 headbands from ♡슈가벨♡
- 4 pairs of stockings from undress (a pair of socks as a gift)
- A pair of mini-skirt tights from 슈가펀
- A grey knitted muffler from ★투팡★부츠
- A pair of brown leather Oxford heels from 프리토 (I'm a shoe size 8, ordered Korean size 25.5)
- Grey jacket from 시크라인 (I'm a UK size 10, ordered an M)
Unfortunately my order isn't perfect. The arygle stockings I ordered were green, but the supplier (undress
) sent black and red. Not a big deal since it would match my wardrobe, but I had ordered the green to switch things up a bit. Also the sparkle stockings are a little tight, so be weary of the dreaded 'free size'.
What made me happiest is this jacket from 시크라인
(29800 KW or AUD$26.02) and the shoes from 프리토
(32900 KW or AUD$28.73). They were the most expensive items in the order and the most likely to disappoint due to sizing issues. Yet they are perfect! I can button the jacket front without my chest looking like it's about to explode and I've walked all day in those shoes without a blister.
Overall, I'm stoked by the items. The quality of everything is really decent. There is a bit of guesswork involved in working out what measurements relate to which part of the body in Korean, so I am thrilled it's all worked out.
Shipping has also been a breeze. Everyone swears by EMS and it is worth every penny. Here's this order's timeline for anyone curious about how long it takes to ship from Korea to Australia. Order Timeline
- 25 Feb 2011 (21:21) Confirmed and ordered via GMarket Korea English portal
- 26 Feb 2011 Items started shipping domestically
- 2 Mar 2011 (16:30) All items shipped and received by the GMarket Korea warehouse
- 3 Mar 2011 (16:30) Order shipped to Australia
- 4 Mar 2011 (06:32) Departure from INTERNATIONAL POST OFFICE
- 4 Mar 2011 (17:17) Handed over to Air carrier (INCHEON)
- 4 Mar 2011 (17:47) Received by Air carrier (INCHEON)
- 4 Mar 2011 (19:10) Departure from Airport (INCHEON)
- 5 Mar 2011 (07:01) Arrival at Destination Airport (SYDNEY)
- 5 Mar 2011 (08:11) Delivered to Destination Airport (SYDNEY)
- 6 Mar 2011 (10:09) Arrival at inward office of exchange (BRISBANE)
- 6 Mar 2011 (10:09) Handed over to Customs and awaiting clearance for delivery
- 6 Mar 2011 (17:32) Departure from inward office of exchange
- 7 Mar 2011 (05:18) Processed at facility
- 7 Mar 2011 (05:51) Transferred to local post shop
- 7 Mar 2011 (08:07) Final delivery and pick up
If there's interest, I'll put up a tutorial on how to shop internationally on GMarket (or at least how I did it).
In the meantime, time to do more Gmarket shopping!